Blog Entry #3 - What I Have Learned From The Family Tree Project


        By doing the 'Family Tree' Project, it not only reminded me of the times that I've been through with my family and how I've been growing to become the me right now, but it also helped me understand and appreciate other classmate's family cultures more. Personally, I was amazed by my own process of growth for what I’ve been through were really challenging. The biggest change ever was when I entered AIS. This school has been helping me to become a more confident person with more worthy knowledge, which miraculously took away part of my fear of being lonely and useless. However, I’ve also realized that I have to face a new challenge, for the US culture has caused my Mom and me numerous fights. In her perspectives, Mom thinks that I should only care about my family and she expects me to look up for traditional issues. While at school, I’ve been taught that friends are really important for your social health, and being open to modern ideas are essential because that makes you a better person. Also, since my Mom doesn’t speak and understand English well, it’s really hard for me to explain every single thing to her.
        In addition, I also acknowledge that the conversion in my religion was also a big step in my 14 – year old – live, for faith made me become more calm and peaceful. I actually went through a pretty hard time when I was in grade 4 -  when my friends discriminated me, and grade 5 – when I couldn’t manage my stress and had to take half of the year of. After that year, I had to start over my 5th grade life, and therefore I had to face a lot of changes since I was one year older comparing to my peers. I had to change the way I normally communicated with my friends, and I had to accept the fact that some of them think that I failed so I had to retake the grade. Anyway, since I converted into Christianity, I don’t care what people say and how they feel about me anymore. But yes, if there are positive comments I’ll listen to them, but in general, I just know that I’ve always been doing my best in everything and therefore should feel satisfied. Speaking of spiritual issues like this, it reminds me of how fascinating God is, for he changed not only my life but my each member of my family’s, too. It’s really important for me because what involves my family influences me. By doing this project just made me feel prouder about how my family has been supporting me even when sometimes we made bad choices, and that motivated me to think that I’m a really lucky person to having been born in the society of being loved and supported.


2 Response to "Blog Entry #3 - What I Have Learned From The Family Tree Project"

  1. Mia Duong says:
    September 4, 2010 at 6:30 AM

    me too, it reminded me when I was younge, by the way, I love your presentation <3

  2. Unknown says:
    September 4, 2010 at 9:59 PM

    Thanks Mia, yours was great too!

Post a Comment